Monday, September 29, 2008

Oh how I love Wipeout!


Wipeout HD has finally come out for PS3 and it's as brilliant as I'd hoped. I've been playing the Wipeout! series since the first one came out in 1995 and they still stand as one of my favorite games of all time. The synergy between the beautiful sci-fi environments, pulse-pounding drum n' bass beats, and SUPER fast speed get me goin everytime I turn it on. Not to mention this version has online play and custom soundtracks, so now I can flex my racing muscles online against the elite while listening to my own music. BRILLIANT!

A couple of months ago I entered into a l0w-poly art contest at 3dtotal.com and was inspired by the vehicles in Wipeout HD . For some reason, I started to think about how cool the Star Wars speeders were and chose to mix things up a bit.

Low-polygon modeling is always a challenge, but I was happy with the results and I really had fun putting all sorts of scratches, dings, and burn marks on this guy. I was limited to 450 tris and using 512 x 512 textures (diffuse, specular, and alpha only)

The top 2 pics are shots of WipeoutHD, bottom two are presentation pieces of my speeder. Ok, I'm off to play more Wipeout!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: